The “second workshop on “tax base protection for developing countries”” took place on September 23, 2014:
“The Financing for Development Office (FfDO) of UN-DESA is organizing, in cooperation with the OECD Center for Tax Policy and Administration (CTPA), the 2nd workshop on “Tax Base Protection for Developing Countries” with the participation of representatives of developing countries.
This meeting is part of a project, undertaken by FfDO, focused on strengthening the capacity of developing countries to increase their potential for domestic revenue mobilization through enhancing their ability to effectively protect and broaden their tax base. The work of the project covers a number of topics of particular interest and relevance to developing countries, at their stage of capacity development, with a view to supporting them in assessing, from their own perspective, a range of practical and workable options which could be implemented by these countries, resulting in increased tax revenues. The project draws upon and contributes to the work of the UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters and its relevant Subcommittees, including the Subcommittee on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS), as well as the work of the OECD project on BEPS, as appropriate, with a view to complementing that work from a capacity development angle. The final outcome of the project will be a UN handbook, comprising a collection of papers developed in a novel demand-driven manner taking into account inputs from developing countries.
This workshop will focus on the following topics: (1) Preventing the artificial avoidance of PE status; (2) Neutralizing effects of hybrid mismatch arrangements; (3) Limiting interest deductions; (4) Taxation of capital gains; (5) Preventing tax treaty abuse; and (6) Transparency and disclosure.”
The “background materials” may be of interest to some of our readers:
- Paper on Preventing the Artificial Avoidance of PE Status (A M Jiménez)
- Paper on Neutralizing Effects of Hybrid Mismatch Arrangements (P Harris)
- Paper on Limiting Interest Déductions (P Barnes)
- Paper on Taxation of Capital Gains (W Cui)
- Paper on Preventing Tax Treaty Abuse (G S Cooper)
- Paper on Transparency and Disclosure (D Ring)
- OECD Project on BEPS (OECD BEPS page)
- UN/OECD First Workshop on Tax Base Protection for Developing Countries (June 4, 2014)
DRTP Consulting Inc. solutions go beyond transfer pricing and international tax solutions. This blog post originally appeared at rbrt.ca. The information in this blog post is general information only. Data and information come from sources believed to be reliable but complete accuracy cannot be guaranteed. DRTP Consulting Inc. or the author are not responsible or liable for any error, omission or inaccuracy in such information. Readers should seek advice and counsel from DRTP Consulting Inc. as required.
- Posted by Robert Robillard
- On 26 September 2014
- 0 Comments
- Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS), BEPS Action Plan, G20 Development Working Group on the impact of BEPS in Low Income Countries, Tax Base Protection for Developing Countries, UN Workshop